Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What is God saying?

I have been having a religious dilemma lately. I started taking the girls to Awana at a local church on Wednesday evenings. The church was recommended by a co-worker who belongs there. The church is considered "non-denominational" but worships in the Anglican tradition. What does that mean exactly? I'm not sure. I do know that the girls really enjoy Awana. I have found the adult education programs to be average in interest.

Our neighbor has also been taking the girls to Thursday night bible study at her church as well as monthly movie nights and a few sunday school and church sessions. Last week I went to Sunday school, as well as a spaghetti dinner hosted by the youth group. The class was very small, only about 7 of us and we did more of a study group than a traditional sunday school that I am familiar with. We read a chapter in the Bible then discussed it in parts and as a whole. It was very informal and open. I did not attend church that day, but I will in the future. Everyone that I met at this church has been very friendly. The church is quite small and doesn't even have a Pastor at this time.

My dilemma is this...The church is a Church of God affiliation. Back home we called them "holy rollers." My impression of the Church of God has been closer to Menonite ways than contemporary. Again, my ignorance of the church liturgy holds me back and my best bet is to learn more. I really liked the Church of God, but I felt like the Anglican church is closer to my Lutheran background, based on nothing other than my opinion of something I had little contact with as a child.
The question is, does God really disappointed in us if we choose one variety of Chrisitanity over another? Is there a right one?
How do I know?

2 comments:

Jami said...

I really haven't read your blog in a LONG LONG time. It's now August, and you posted this in April. I was a little excited to give you my take on this particular subject, as it's something I've thought about a lot since the kids were born. (And by the way, I'd love to hear what conclusions you've come to in the last few months, if any.)

My take is this: God loves everyone whether you are Mormon, Jewish, Jehovah's Witness, Hindu, Catholic, UU, Atheist, Agnostic, Pagan, Buddhist, etc. (even those crazy polygamists in Texas!) I do not believe that god would ever damn anyone for sincere religious beliefs. Have you read all of the Narnia books? In the last one (aptly named The Last Battle) Aslan (God) says to Emeth, the devout Calormene "...no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him [Tash]. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted."

I think that's a pretty good summation of how I feel about the difference between denominations, and religions in general. So if your newfound church is something that is good in your life, brings you happiness, peace, makes good friends, etc. then stick with it. If it is the kind of church that breeds intolerance, preaches "we're right and everyone who doesn't think like us is going straight to hell, so you'd better hop on the wagon before it's too late"-- I'd be leery of that.

Maybe neither church is like that, in which case, like you said, learn more about the liturgy. But, all in all, I do not believe that there is ONE RIGHT church. That whole "one and only right church" deal is just fundamentalism, which is the true enemy, (IMO), be it Muslim, Christian or other. There are apparently even Fundy Buddhists, though, I can't seem to find much on them. But, regardless, this is why we started practicing Buddhism, because we (shall I say "I") am pretty firm about the middle path, non-extremism, and tolerance. I know that you can find all of those in some Xian churches, too, but I have a really difficult time weeding out the surreptitious control-through-fear, fire and brimstone types. So I just scrapped Xianity altogether (for now... maybe I'll get back to it once I get far enough away to gain some more perspective.) In the meantime, I keep in touch with God because I don't believe that he(it?) belongs to Xians only. I believe that God lives within us, and that we are all part of it. But, that isn't really what you were asking about. If you'd like more, I'd be happy to share more of my religious philosophy with you (or anyone else, but I WILL NOT DEBATE ANYONE about it.)

I was going to email you privately about it, but I decided to put it all out in the open in case anyone else is interested in my viewpoint. If you want to talk more about it privately, just email (or call).

Much Love, and Best Wishes for figuring out what's best for you and your family. :)

Jami said...

Oh, one more thing. Here is a buddhist response to your final question. The Buddha himself when asked "How do we know what the truth is?" is fabled to have said:

"Do not rely on reports, legends, traditions, scripture, logic, inference, analogy, agreement with your views, probability, or the thought 'this person is my teacher'. When you know for yourself that these qualities are unskillful, blameworthy, are criticized by the wise, and when undertaken lead to harm and suffering, then you should abandon those qualities. When you know that qualities are skillful, blameless, praised by the wise, and when undertaken lead to welfare and happiness, then enter and remain in these qualities."

I take that to mean, the truth lies within you, and though you ask, and you may receive a variety of answers (or none) they can only serve as guidance, no one can give you a "real" answer, but you.

I hope this helps you.